The historical center of Cagliari is the conformation that Pisans gave the city during the two hundred. Around the fortified district that Castel di Castro, where the citadel Pisans established the center of power, developed the three quarters to accommodate the dwellings and the activities of people, Stampace, Navy and Villanova, the first was the heart of bourgeois and merchants, the second was the district of fishermen and sailors, the third that of shepherds and farmers.
Stampace is the oldest district of the city, where until a few years ago lived the soul of the people more real Cagliari, one of the craft guilds (carpenters, slippers, carpenters, blacksmiths), and that today keep the cults and traditions heartfelt.
E 'un quartiere simple, devoid of monumental buildings and large civil construction, but with many churches: the church of San Michele, the church of Saint Anne, the church of Santa Chiara with its monastery, and the small church of Sant. There is also 's Botanical Gardens, which houses over 500 species of tropical plants, and the bastion of Santa Croce, the most panoramic Stampace.
- Church of St. Michele - Part of a larger building erected by the Society of Jesus in the middle of the century. XVII, Baroque Spanish.
- Church of St Anne - was built at the end of the eighteenth century, is the principal church of the district Stampace; severely damaged by bombing during the Second World War, was rebuilt after the war. The church, Baroque in Piedmont, has a face framed by two towers, preceded by a staircase and decorated with columns and pilasters, three domes, of varying shape and size, crown the building. Inside there is a wooden crucifix from the XIV and an altar in polychrome marble. In the right arm of the transept is the imposing neoclassical altar in black marble, dedicated to the Blessed Amadeus IX of Savoy, built in 1828 by Andrea Galassi on Board of King Carlo Felice, on the high altar, twentieth, there is a marble statue of St. Mary with child. The church also houses other priceless works of art, like the polychrome wooden sculpture depicting the saints Joachim and Anna with daughter Maria, a work by Giuseppe Antonio Lonis, and a painting of John Marghinotti representing the Redeemer among angels.
- Chiesa di Santa Chiara - Located at the Santa ladders Clare, not far from Piazza Yenne, the church of Santa Chiara was founded, together with the adjacent monastery, in the late thirteenth and early fourteenth century to accommodate a community of Poor Clare nuns, who continued to live in the convent until the end of the nineteenth century. The complex was badly damaged by bombing in 1943, necessitating the demolition of the monastery, which today remains only a few ruins. The building overlooks a small square square, from which you access the ruins of the monastery, in whose vicinity there is the bell gable of the church. The facade of the church is decorated with a portal lintel, surmounted by a small niche. The interior is rectangular with a single nave and side chapels, the apse, rectangular, has a huge gilded wooden altarpiece, under the floor of the nave is the crypt, where you can see the traces of the foundations of the Middle Ages.
- Church of Saint - This small church, built at the end of the eighteenth century on a sixteenth-century building, in turn built on a thirteenth-century church, is one of the most important from a religious viewpoint, because linked to the cult of the saint most venerated by Cagliaritani The martyr Efisio. The church stands on the site that, according to tradition, would correspond to the place where the saint was imprisoned before being brought to Nora (Pula at today), to be beheaded. The church has a nave with three chapels on each side, a niche in the massive main altar in polychrome marble, are preserved the relics of the martyr Efisio. In the second chapel on the right is the seventeenth-century statue of the saint, and in the S agra Sant'Efisio, the most important festival of Cagliari, is carried in procession to Nora.
The neighborhood of the Navy, originally intended for housing for workers, port and customs officials, fishermen and people in general of Cagliari, overlooking the sea. Structured according to parallel and perpendicular streets is limited to the port from Rome via scenographic first impact with the city for those arriving by sea, with its arcades and its buildings of beginning '900. Within the district there are some monuments of the most important city, like the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, C hiesa Sant'Agostino, and the Catalan-Gothic Church of Sant'Eulalia.
- Church of Holy Sepulcher - Rich in precious sacred furnishings and works of art.
- Church of St. Augustine - Built in 1580, is under excavation and restoration which will lead to the restoration of the altar in gilded wood and the new exhibition of some important paintings.
- Church of St. Eulalia - Dating back to centuries. XV, was recently opened museum which houses the treasure of St. Eulalia.
Villanova is the expansion of the district of Cagliari in the campaign, in the urban fabric of this area are sometimes Unexpectedly, gardens and orchards near the typical houses. Surrounded by walls, even if not fortified, it was the residence of those who reached the city to undertake the wide variety of crafts and works of those dedicated to agricultural crops in large areas bordering the neighborhood.
Of great value to the church of San Giacomo, the church of St. Dominic, the public gardens and the Municipal Gallery, which houses the Ingrao Collection. Since its expansion came the urban districts of La Vega, San Benedetto, Sant'Alenixedda, Bonaria, Su Baroni and Monte Upinu.
- Church of St. Giacomo - Already existing in the'300, expanded and equipped with a square bell tower between 1438 and 1442, has a neoclassical facade with reasons, attributed to Gaetano Cima, of 1838, while the interior is in Gothic style.
- Church of St. Domenico - Founded by Brother Nicholas Fortiguerra from Siena in 1254 and remodeled in the fifteenth century. The original church crypt serves as the new church, built in 1953.
Other churches and monuments in Cagliari
- Basilica of Our Lady of Bonaria - The monument of Our Lady of Bonaria, the most important Marian shrine of Sardinia, located on the hill of the same name, in the south-east of Cagliari. Built in 1300 by the Aragonese, c omprende the sanctuary, the church and the convent of the father Mercedari. The complex takes its name from the wooden statue of Our Lady, who according to legend arrived on the beach of Bonaria in 1370, brought by the waves after the sinking of the ship that was transporting. The sanctuary is the small fourteenth-century church, originally a chapel of the citadel fortified Aragonese. The simple facade hut houses the Gothic portal recovered from the medieval church of San Francesco in Stampace, demolished in the nineteenth century, the interior, in the Gothic style - Catalan, houses the high altar on which is the fourteenth-century wooden statue of Our Lady and Child, known as Our Lady of Bonaria, half of the devotion of the faithful. The construction of the Basilica dates back to 1704, when the friars Mercedari decided to build a larger church in honor of Virgin Bonaria. The construction of the church, after many interruptions, finished in 1926, when Pope Pius XI conferred the title of Basilica Minor. The Basilica, a Latin cross plan, has a limestone facade with a large porch, above which there is a triangular pediment that contains the emblem of the Order of Mercy. The interior is divided into three naves, with a large transept surmounted by a domed octagonal. The altar is surmounted by a large canopy supported by four columns in green marble, decorated with figures of angels, capitals and arches in gilded copper. In front of the presbytery is a reproduction of the statue of Our Lady of Bonaria. In the aisles open chapels, four right and three on the left, where there are large canvases depicting the Madonna, dating back to the 50s of the twentieth century. In the transept is the chapel of the Madonna della Vittoria or Caduti, built in 1930 for wish of the mothers of the fallen in war, adorned with a marble altar in Baroque style with a bas-relief depicting the Pietà. In the cloister of the monastery you can visit the Museum of the Sanctuary, which houses the most ancient votive offerings donated by the many faithful, as well as archaeological evidence of Colle di Bonaria, model ship and vestments.
- Basilica di San Saturnino - It's one of the most ancient Christian monuments in all of Sardinia, and one of the most important of the Mediterranean basin. Dedicated to the patron saint of the city, was built between the fifth and sixth century at the place where it was the martyred saint, in an area of great archaeological interest for the presence of a Roman necropolis and a Christian. Reworked in Romanesque, was restored and reconsecrated recently.